The craft of building a roof with dry vegetation such as straw, reed or rushes. Used in both tropical and temperate climates.
Huber & Associates, Expert Thatch Historical & Restoration Roofing Contractors
Huber & Associates has provided thatch roofing restoration for more than 40 years. Our clients include historic homes, private estates and commercial properties throughout the Southeast, nationally and internationally. We use both natural reeds and grasses, as well as synthetic products that provide all the advantages of natural thatch, but last longer and require less maintenance.
Over the years, we've completed complex projects for a range of demanding clients. You can see our work on several prominent resorts and theme parks, including:
- Necker Island Resort, British Virgin Islands
- Disney Animal Kingdom Lodge, Orlando, FL (pictured directly above)
Huber & Associates is internationally known as expert historical and restoration roofing contractors experienced with many roofing styles, formats and materials. We provide solutions to any roofing project. Read more about our expertise.
Why thatch roofing?
Thatch has been used for centuries all over the world on everything from Tiki huts in the South Pacific to whimsical cottages in the British Isles. Thatch roofs are crafted from vegetation such as straw, reeds, rushes, grasses and palm fronds. Because of this, they have a highly distinctive look that many people prize for its natural, organic qualities.
Depending on the type of thatch used, the finished product can be a foot thick, which adds to its soft and inviting appearance. Because it relies on a buildup of grasses or reeds for shedding water, thatching should be installed on a steeper roof slope than conventional materials. This adds to its highly unique aesthetic properties.
Thatch roofing isn't for everyone, but those who prize its natural look and feel will find much to admire in the fine craftsmanship of a Huber & Associates build. We specialize in bringing to life the creative vision of our clients, utilizing quality materials and exceptional artistry to create designs that offer long-lasting quality and good looks you'll appreciate for years to come.
The Benefits of a Thatched Roof
Thatch roofs may not be as popular as more contemporary products such as asphalt and slate, but that doesn’t mean they don’t offer benefits in the right application. Choose a thatch roof if you’re looking for a product that can deliver:
- Style: As noted above, both conventional and synthetic thatch roofs have a look and feel that’s entirely their own. They are ideal for any tropical-themed restaurant, hotel or for a cozy cottage that’s a world removed from modern design trends.
- Durability: Thatch has persisted as a roofing material for thousands of years in part because of its strength. Though natural thatch roofs do require periodic attention to prevent rot, a well-maintained thatch roof can last up to 20 years. Alternately, choose a synthetic thatch roof for a more convenient alternative.
- Insulation: Grasses and reeds are some of the best natural insulators there are. As a result, in certain climates, a thatch roof can be installed on a home without additional insulating materials, keeping it warm during the winter and cool during the summer.
- Sustainability: Thatch roofing is one of the most eco-friendly roofing types around. We make our thatch roofs from fast-growing natural materials that are easy to harvest and biodegrade when they reach the end of their service life. Unlike other products, thatch roofs contain no VOCs or other synthetic compounds that can affect indoor air quality or cause other environmental issues.
NATURAL OR SYNTHETIC THATCH?
Despite the above benefits, thatch roofs do have their drawbacks. Like wood and other natural products, they require somewhat more maintenance than plastic or metal roofing. Additionally, they present some design limitations — retrofitting an older home with a thatch product may be impossible without making significant structural changes to the pitch of the roof.
Looking for the distinctive thatch aesthetic without the added hassle? Synthetic thatch roofs are a great alternative to a natural product that offers the best of both worlds. Huber & Associates works with several high-quality fiber products that last longer, require less maintenance and are faster and easier to install than natural thatch.
ABOUT SYNTHETIC THATCH
Forget what you think you know about synthetic thatching. Today's products are highly durable, attractive and virtually indistinguishable from natural materials. We work with several manufacturers to offer synthetic thatch roofs that look great and can be counted on for years of service. When correctly installed by our team of experts, a synthetic thatch roof can provide:
- A lifespan of 50 years or more
- Virtually maintenance-free performance, saving you time and money
- Superior resistance to mold, rot and decay — common issues with natural thatch products
- Improved safety in the event of heavy winds, fire or other natural disasters
- A range of color options that don’t fade with exposure to the sun
- A natural deterrent to bugs, birds and other pests
- All-weather performance in any climate
To learn more about the benefits of synthetic thatch, contact Huber & Associates. Of course, if you prefer a natural product, we would be happy to source several options for you.
Huber & Associates has extensive experience repairing, restoring and replacing thatch roofs. We have worked in high-end private residences as well as hotels, villas and other commercial properties. Our services include:
- Thatch re-roofing: Whether you want to replace natural thatch with a synthetic product or change up the look of your property by replacing an existing tile or asphalt roof, we can help. Our team offers turnkey support for any project, from design and material sourcing to installation and ongoing maintenance.
- Thatch roof repairs: Natural thatch roofs will occasionally require repairs, whether it's to replace a section that has been damaged by a storm or to prevent mold and mildew from compromising the underlying structure. Our team works quickly and efficiently to minimize disruption to your property — an important consideration on resorts and other tourist centers where providing a relaxing experience for your guests is paramount.
- Thatch roof restoration: When repairs are not enough, but you want to preserve the look of a natural thatch roof, Huber & Associates can provide more comprehensive restoration services. We specialize in historic restorations — our team is trained to do the research and meticulous work necessary to maintain fidelity to the original design of your property.
Every job begins with a thorough consultation in which we go over your goals and recommend the best combination of services and products. We will also provide a detailed estimate outlining all costs involved in a job, as well as a timeline for completion.
YOUR HISTORICAL RESTORATION AND PRESERVATION EXPERTS
Whether you're looking for a natural or synthetic thatch roof, Huber & Associates can help. We have installed thatch roofs for clients all around the world. Though we routinely work on new constructions, our specialty is historical restoration and repairs. Let us bring an older property into the 21st century by replacing a natural thatch roof with a synthetic alternative or by repairing areas that have become damaged by time.
Give us a call today - (828) 275-7678 - to learn more about thatch roofing restoration opportunities. Huber & Associates provides historical restoration and preservation to roofs all over the world.